Follow my step-by-step instructions and make a classic Starbucks Chai Tea Latte at home! This drink is easy to make, tasty, and it will keep you warm during the cold season.
Rich, creamy, and slightly spicy, Chai Tea Latte is one of the most popular hot beverages at Starbucks. Now, it is possible to buy the Chai Tea Concentrate online, or large grocery stores, which makes is super easy to make this oh-so-loved drink at home.
WHAT IS CHAI TEA LATTE
Originated in India, achai tea latte is a drink prepared in a lot of coffee shops across the US, similarly to a latte (espresso+steamed milk), but with a Chai Tea Concentrate used instead of espresso. The Chai Tea Concentrate is made with a very strong black tea, infused with spices such as cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, vanilla, cloves and it usually contains added sugar.
CHAI TEA LATTE RECIPE
The Starbucks Chai Tea Latte recipe I am sharing with you today, is made with only two ingredients:
- Tazo Chai Tea Latte Base. This base is sold at some large supermarkets, such as Walmart, Target, Earth Fareor you can (the most expensive option).
- Milk. By default Starbucks uses 2% milk for almost all hot beverages. However, you can use whole or skim milk, or try using dairy-free alternatives (almond, coconut, soy, or cashew milk).
IS CHAI TEA LATTE GOOD FOR YOU?
I know a lot of people are wondering if Chai Tea Latte is a healthy drink. For the most part the answer to this question will depend on a specific Chai Tea Latte variety you are consuming and how much sugar you use. But because today I am sharing Starbucks Chai Tea Latte,my answer will be connected to this specific drink. So I would say that this Chai Tea Latte is somewhat healthy. The healthy part is the spice infused tea. The benefits of these spices include its anti-inflammatory effects that can help ease arthritis, preventing and treating nausea, aiding digestion, and reducing the risk of heart disease. The unhealthy part is sugar. One 12 oz. cup of the Chai Tea I am sharing with you, contains about 18g. of sugar (12g. from , and 8g. from milk). I recommend treating this drink as a dessert and consume it in moderation.
IS THERE CAFFEINE IN CHAI TEA LATTE?
Yes. There is about 30mg. of caffeine in one 12 oz. cup of this Chai Tea Latte. In comparison, a 12 oz. cup of coffee contains about 130mg. of caffeine.
HOW TO FROTH THE MILK FOR CHAI TEA LATTE
You'll need to froth the milk, to make that beautiful foam you see on a photo above. It is Chai Tea LATTE, and latte requires foam on top. There are several ways to froth the milk:
- Milk Frother. Whether using or Press Frother (I use ), you'll always have great results.
- French Press. You may froth the milk using your coffee press. Just add the hot milk to the press and pump for 10-15 times.
- Whisk. You can just use a regular whisk to froth the milk. Just add the hot milk into a large cup and whisk until foam forms.
HOW TO MAKE STARBUCKS CHAI TEA LATTE
1. Pour the Tazo Chai Tea Latte Base into a serving cup.
2. Warm up the milk on a stovetop or in a microwave until very hot. Froth the milk (check "How to Froth Milk" section above).
3. Pour the milk into the cup with Chai Tea Base. Garnish with ground cinnamon if desired. Serve.
If you prefer a very hot Chai Tea, add the Tazo Chai Tea Base to the milk, and heat it up together, until it reaches the desired temperature. Then froth.
Some of the dairy-free milk alternatives, don't froth well, so your cup won't be full, since the foam is missing. Use 4 oz. of Chai Tea Base and 8 oz. of milk in this case.
YOU?LL LOVE THESE STARBUCKS COPYCAT RECIPES TOO:
- Starbucks Caramel Macchiato
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Starbucks Peppermint White Chocolate
- Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino
Why I share Starbucks recipes?Read myStarbucks Journey. ?
CHAI TEA LATTE VIDEO RECIPE
Starbucks Chai Tea Latte
- 6oz. 2% milkcan use non-fat, whole milk, or dairy-free alternatives
- Pour the Tazo Chai Tea Latte Base into a serving cup.
- Warm up the milk on a stovetop or in a microwave until very hot. Froth the milk (check ?How to Froth Milk? section above).
- Pour the milk into the cup with Chai Tea Base. Garnish with ground cinnamon if desired. Serve.