Salmon Burgers just got healthier!Make these on a grill or stovetop, ditch the bun, and serve with mouthwateringAvocado Salsa.This tasty and easy Salmon Burger recipe is not to be missed!
When my husband tried this Salmon Burger recipe for the first time, he said, ?Oh, wow!? And that?s the perfect way to describe it. Flavorful, healthy, and fresh, these cute little salmon burgers are a MUST TRY this summer.
And did I mention the Avocado Salsa? It works so well in this recipe and makes it even healthier. Now that I?ve made you crave these Salmon Burgers, it?s time to get to the recipe details.
Where to cook Salmon Burgers
You can cook these Salmon Burgerson the stove, using a non-stick grill skillet, or on theoutdoor grillfor that extra smoky flavor. I have a, and it is the best skillet for stovetop grilling. The food NEVER sticks to the pan, and it?s so easy to clean. I usually cook these salmon burgers indoors because I live in an apartment building and barbecuing on the balcony is prohibited. Oh well?
If you are grilling these burgers on the outdoor grill, I would strongly suggest using a to avoid sticking.
Make Your Own Breadcrumbs
I always prefer to use fresh breadcrumbs over Panko. I believe they add muchbetter texture and flavor. Tomake a cup of fresh breadcrumbs, just place 4 slices of slightly stale (or frozen)bread in a food processorand process until breadcrumbs form. Italian or regular white bread will work the best for this recipe.
The ingredients are simple, and other than the fish, you probably already have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
How to make Salmon Burgers:
1. Chop the salmon fillet into small pieces (about 1/4 inch) and transfer them into a medium mixing bowl. (Check how to remove the salmon skin in 3 easy step here).
2. Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
3.Heat a little oil in a large, non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 portions and form neat patties (I used a 1/2 cup as a measure). Fry/grill the patties until browned on both sides and just cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
What to Serve with Salmon Burgers
Serve these salmon burgers on a hamburger bun, on top of a salad, in a lettuce wrap, topped with Avocado Pesto, or simply as is.
Lastly, I suggest you don?t skip the Avocado Salsa. It is SO TASTY and it pairs very well with these Salmon Burgers. Even if you choose to serve these burgers on a bun, serve the salsa on the side or smash it slightly with a fork and spread it on the bun as well. Let me know how you enjoyed these tasty Salmon Burgers, friends!
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Heat up the pan.Make sure the oil and the grill pan are nice and hot before adding the patties, to prevent sticking.
- Use a non-stick mat.If you are cooking these salmon burgers on an outdoor grill, use afor the best results.
- Chop well.Don?t leave large chunks of salmon when chopping, or your burgers will fall apart. Chop the salmon into very small pieces (as shown above in the process photo for step #3.
- Mixture too wet?This can happen if you use extra-large eggs. You can add 1/4 cup more breadcrumbs, or leave it as is. Once you cook the burgers, the eggs will also cook and hold the burger together.
- Breadcrumb substitutes?Use quick oats, cooked bulgur, or cooked quinoa.
I bet you'll love these too:
- Easy Salmon Patties
- Mackerel Patties
- Baked Cod
- Healthy Cod Fish Skillet
- Keto Salmon Patties
- Spinach Stuffed Salmon
Salmon Burgers with Avocado Salsa
- 1lbsalmon fillet (skin removed)
- 1cupfresh breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1/4cupchopped cilantroor parsley
- 1tbsplemon juice
- olive oil for greasing the pan or grill
- 1largeavocado, chopped
- 1/3cupchopped red onion
- 1/4cupchopped fresh cilantro
- 1lime, juiced
- 1tbspextra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the salmon fillet into small pieces (about 1/4 inch) and transfer it into a medium mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in the rest of the ingredients. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 and form neat patties (I used a 1/2 cup as a measure). Fry/grill the patties until browned on both sides and just cooked through; about 4 minutes on each side.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients together and mix well.