This is a simple, flavorful, and easyBaked Okra recipe. Seasoned with paprika, salt, and a pinch of cayenne, this okra makes a great snack or side dish.
I discovered okra about two years ago and instantly fell in love with it. This vegetable is so healthy and easy to prepare, and it tastes great! If you haven't had a chance to try it yet, now is the time. Below, I'll share with you my favorite way to enjoy okra.
HOW TO BUY AND STORE OKRA
When shopping for okra, look for smooth, blemish-free, bright green pods. Avoid pods that have a dry end because this is an indicator that the okra has been sitting out on a shelf for a while. Also, pay attention to the size. Don't buy okra that is above five inches long because it tends to have rough skin, and the seeds are tougher, too.
Okra is pretty perishable, so try to cook it within a day or two. In the meantime, store it in the refrigerator in a paper bag.
THE SEASONING FOR BAKED OKRA
In the recipe below, I am using paprika, salt, and a pinch of cayenne to season the okra. But I just want to mention one seasoning that works really well for baking okra, too. It is called . I learned about this seasoning from a comment on my Cabbage and Chicken recipe (thanks, Kate!), and I've used it in so many recipes since then. This seasoning has a great mix of spices and adds a nice touch to dishes. If you decide to try it, or already have it on hand, just use 1/2 tsp. of instead of the paprika, salt, and cayenne.
CUT VS. WHOLE OKRA
You can cut the okra into pieces, or use whole okra in this recipe. If you choose to bake whole okra, it'll have a bit more of a slimy texture inside than cut okra. I personally don't mind it (I actually love it), but I know many people try to avoid it.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED OKRA:
1.Preheat the oven to 450F degrees.
2. Rinse the okra, and dry with a paper towel. Trim away the stem ends, and then cut it into 1/2to3/4-inch pieces. Spread the okra on a sheet pan in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, paprika, salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir.
3. Bake the okra for about 15 minutes.The okra should be lightly browned and tender, with a nice seared aroma. Serve immediately.
Try these tasty recipes:
- Basic Cauliflower Fritters
- Classic Potato Pancakes
- BreakfastBroccoli Bake
- Vegan Eggplant Stew
- Baked Plantain Chips
Baked Okra Video Tutorial
EASY BAKED OKRA
- 1lb.fresh okra
- 2tbsp.olive oil
- saltto taste
- a pinch of cayenne pepperoptional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse the okra, and dry with a paper towel. Trim away the stem ends, and then cut it into 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces. Spread the okra on a sheet pan in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, paprika, salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir.
- Bake the okra for about 15 minutes. The okra should be lightly browned and tender, with a nice seared aroma. Serve immediately.