This Creamy Zucchini Sauce is bursting with flavor! Made with paprika-roasted zucchinis, sour cream, garlic, and fresh herbs, it tastes great with pasta, over rice, or just with a slice of bread.
It's zucchini season and you've got to try this recipe! Fresh, flavorful, and so versatile, this Zucchini Sauce pairs well with pasta, quinoa, rice, and many other grains. If you are looking for a filling and tasty vegetarian lunch/dinner, you've come to the right place!
And on top of that, this sauce is very easy to make. Just mix the zucchini with oil and spices and place it in the oven. While the zucchini is baking, you can whip up the sauce. Mix the sauce with the zucchini and VOILA! Your Creamy-Dreamy Zucchini Sauce is ready.
- Zucchini. Use medium or small zucchini, because they will hold shape better. Summer squash can also be used.
- Oil. I use olive oil, but other kinds can be used, too.
- Sour cream. To make a vegan option use full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened plant-based cream instead.
- Tomato Paste. It adds sweetness and brings a lot of flavor.
- Spices. Paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Herbs. I use a combination of basil and dill, it works really well here. You can use different herbs if desired.
How to Make Zucchini Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Mix the zucchini with oil, paprika, salt, and pepper and spread onto a large non-stick baking tray. Bake for about 20 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, place all of the sauce ingredients into a medium skillet, stir, and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat.
4. Add the baked zucchini to the cream-sauce and mix everything well. Garnish with chopped herbs, if desired.
What to Serve with This Sauce
My favorite way to serve this zucchini sauce is to mix it with some cooked pasta (spaghetti, penne, or linguine), or pour a generous amount of the sauce over boiled rice. You may also enjoy it with your favorite grain (quinoa, farro, bulgur, barley, buckwheat, etc.). Or just serve it with some fresh bread.
More tasty zucchini recipes to try:
- Easy Zucchini Chickpea Curry
- Zucchini Noodles
- Roasted Zucchini Salad
- Vegetable Fritters
- Mexican Zucchini Boats
CREAMY ZUCCHINI SAUCE
- 3tbsp.olive oil
- salt and pepperto taste
For the Sauce:
- 1cupsour cream
- 2garlic clovesminced
- 1tbsp.tomato paste
- 2tbsp.chopped dill
- 2tbsp.chopped basil
- saltto taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Mix the zucchini with oil, paprika, salt, and pepper and spread onto a large non-stick baking tray. Bake for about 20 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place all of the sauce ingredients into a medium skillet, stir, and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat.
- Add the baked zucchini to the cream-sauce and mix everything well. Garnish with chopped herbs, if desired.