I love puréed soups. For lunch especially. Nothing could be better than a bowl of warm soup with freshly baked bread. Low calorie, high on nutrients, easy to make and so flavorful. If you've never had a soup like that before, you should definitely try it. You'd be surprised what carrots can do. Oh, by the way, remind me to post a recipe of one very simple and delicious oatmeal bread. It pairs well with this soup.
I picked up this recipe when I was visiting my mom in Italy (they call it "zuppa di carote") and since then it's on my menu at least once a month. Buon appetito!
CREAMED CARROT SOUP
- 1lbcarrotspeeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2lbpotatoespeeled and cut into pieces
- 5cupsvegetable stockor chicken stock
- 1/2tspground cumin
- to tastesalt and pepper
- 1/3cuphalf and half(optional)
- Place carrots, potatoes, onion and stock in a pot and bring to boil. Cook for 35 minutes on medium-low heat until vegetables get tender. Remove from heat.
- Blend the soup using an immersion hand blender, or a food processor, until smooth and creamy. If you are using food processor, like me, you may have to work in batches, transferring puréed soup into a different pot.
- Once the soup is blended well, add cumin, just a pinch of salt, and a little pepper. Stir well, cover with lid and let it rest 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds.